13 June 2013

A little bit of Latin

Deus Meus et Omnia

The name of my blog is a common Franciscan motto, "My God and my all".  Over the years in my spiritual journey, I've explored the lives of several saints or "illuminated ones" as other religions may refer to people like Francis of Assisi who according to the catholic world is a blessed saint.

My earliest experiences with monasticism were visits to Saint Gregory's Abbey in Three Rivers, MI where I am blessed to continue this day as a member of the Confraternity. However back in 2006 I decided that my biggest inspiration was drawn from the son of a wealthy Italian merchant who threw money, clothes - his earthly possessions to the wind (well, actually to the much less fortunate) in an attempt to better follow God and Christ.

I am currently an Aspirant to the Third Order of the Society of Saint Francis (www.tssf.org). By choosing to title my blog with a Franciscan motto doesn't mean that I believe that everyone should be Christian, let alone follow the specific path of Saint Francis. However for me, it works even (or especially so) with all my human failings.

My posts here won't always be on religion. Those who know me can tell you that I have a million and one interests. Some of those other main interests are: politics, emergency medicine, community action groups, music, art, technology and cooking.

So my posts here can be among any of those topics - and as those people close to me can attest, those topics often intersect.

I sign off this post with a quote from Johann Wolfgang von Goethe..

In nature we never see anything isolated, 
but everything in connection with something else 
which is before it, beside it, under it and over it.

-dmeo, ww

No comments: